-->

Saturday, March 27, 2010

How much more bulk does he really need?

Frenchy's strength as a runner derives more from his elusiveness and balance than it does from raw power.

But just like he vowed last year at this time, after the Saints parted ways with beloved power runner Deuce McAllister, Thomas insisted he's ready to bulk up and fill whatever void the Saints ask him to fill.

"You know, one thing I really want to work on this season is trying to get more leg power. That's my biggest goal. Leg power, leg power, leg power, so I can keep fighting for extra yards, and try to be that guy when they have that third-and-1 or fourth-and-1, " said Thomas, a 5-foot-11, 215-pounder, who did just that on the biggest fourth-and-1 conversion in Saints history in overtime of the NFC championship game against the Minnesota Vikings

I'm not sure why the Saints let Mike Bell get away. I know his production tapered off at the end of the season but the Saints don't have another back who runs with his aggressive style. And don't tell me Lynell Hamilton does what Mike Bell did because he doesn't.

And, of course, none of this matters all that much anymore. It's not like we have to worry about whether the Saints can win the Superbowl. I'd like to tell you that ever since that happened I'm just happy to be here. But actually I'm just kind of mildly surprised to be here.

No comments: