-->

Friday, January 02, 2009

Resolutions?

Nahh. I'm suspicious of anyone who appears too resolved to accomplish something. Besides, I was too hungover yesterday to reflect very deeply on goals or resolutions and.. seriously, if you spend too much time planning and hoping then you're probably not living right in the first place.

So instead, here are a few half-assed expectations for 2009 that I just thought up (and will quickly forget):

  • I expect January 20 will be an emotional day for a lot of people in the same way November 4 was. It won't be very long, however, before the Clinton II Administration starts to feel as disappointing as Clinton I. So enjoy the moment while you can.


  • I expect Alabama to kick the crap out of Utah tonight in the Sugar Bowl. I still don't understand the misdirected hatred many LSU fans hold for Nick Saban. He's a prick. So are all football coaches. The unusual thing about Saban is that he's a fairly effective prick. Deal with it.


  • I expect Les Miles to be fired. I always expect Les Miles to be fired.


  • It's a bit early to get a read on this, but based solely on a gut feeling, I expect the Saints to improve on their 8-8 finish next season. Could be, however, that since I have correctly predicted the team's record for two consecutive seasons now, I might just expect it's time for that streak to end. In other words, don't go running to Vegas just yet.


  • This blog has gotten a bit extra-crappy in the past few months. I might expect that to change... but I won't try very hard to do anything about it.


  • I expect I'm about ready for Carnival season.


  • I expect Bobby Jindal to have a rougher time of things this year. He's already made some enemies in Baton Rouge and as stupid and incapable as those enemies may be, they are enemies nonetheless. Plus it's never much fun for a Governor of a state running such a huge budget deficit. Expect trouble. And, since it's Louisiana, expect it to be funny.


  • I expect at least one more major local political scandal to break this year. But the current Hayride era of one federal investigation after another has to come to an end at some point. This may be Jim Letten's last go-round as US attorney. Eli has been speculating about potential challengers to David Vitter in 2010. I'm surprised I haven't seen Letten's name mentioned yet.


  • I expect life in New Orleans to continue to be as sad and frustrating as it is beautiful and hilarious. I expect I would shrivel up and die if I ever had to leave.


And now that I've wasted yesterday being hungover and most of this morning on the internets, I'm going out to mess with the football fans in the quarter. I expect it to be mildly amusing.

No comments: