-->

Friday, December 07, 2007

WTF? Oh, I think I see WTF

New Orleans isn't big enough to handle your weenie blogger convention?

This is the Presidential debate fiasco all over again. I personally couldn't give a shit if the debates or Yearly Kos are held in New Orleans. It's the fact that both the Kos people and the debate commissioners go out of their way to imply that one of the nation's biggest convention and special event venues somehow isn't "ready" to handle their group. It would seem that only in politics is it necessary to reflexively spew this kind of CYA bullshit.

Immediate Update: I take that back. It looks like they couldn't find a facility they wanted. The original quote I read gave me the impression that they were saying the city itself was "too small" when they were actually talking about the one hotel they were looking at.

So really this is no big deal.

Later Update: Of course, there are other theories. For one, Markos has exhibited a kind of detached hostility to NOLA in the past. And one could argue that they weren't actually trying to find an appropriate venue. But I don't really feel qualified to speculate there.

The point remains, I don't give a shit which conventions come to New Orleans and which ones don't for the most part so long as they don't excuse their decision to stay away through some misleading and damaging broadside like the debate commissioners did. And say what you will about the Kos people's reasons for not coming, I don't think they've acted quite as insultingly.

No comments: