-->

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Must....not....take....bait...

Aw crap... okay. (Sigh)

Today on WWL Mayor Nagin addressed a recent report which revealed that he had not voted in the same election in which he publicly berated the non-voting public for their "apathy" while he was busy "busting my butt".

Quoth the Mayor:

“I’m a pretty religious voter,” Nagin said when asked if he voted in the last election. This comes after a recent newspaper article alleged Nagin condemned people for not voting when he himself did not vote in the last election.

Nagin responded, “I don’t believe that report and it causes me to question what’s going on with voting period. I get many reports from people saying ‘Look, I’ve been taken off the rolls, my vote didn’t count’ - now I’m going to be watching my vote a lot closer.”

When asked to respond by saying yes or no, Nagin said “I’m a pretty consistent voter, I only recall maybe one or two times that I hadn’t voted because I was working and the clock ran out and I couldn’t get to my precinct, but other than that I vote.”

When asked if the Secretary of State was wrong, the mayor responded:

I don’t know what’s going on, I’ll tell you I haven’t read the whole report, I don’t particularly pay attention to those kind of reports, but I’m going to watch my voting a lot closer going forward.

Like I said, from my recollection and from the people who ride with me and stay with me, we have voted very consistently.”


In other words, he's saying that while he doesn't have the facts available regarding this recent event from his own life, this one report he didn't read sure makes him suspicious that the vote he didn't cast may not have counted. Thank God we're only talking about (poorly constructed) allegations of voting irregularities instead of garbage collection contracts. Otherwise SCLC might have to get involved.

No comments: