-->

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Warning: Actual Liberry-related post

Yesterday, I conducted a short library tour for a group of 1st graders. The following is an excerpt.

It turns out that a lot of adults like to read comic books too. But some adults feel silly saying the words "comic book" so we use the term "Graphic Novel" instead. Just imagine a grown man settling into his rocker.. lighting his pipe. He looks around for something to read and calls out to his wife. "Martha, bring me my..... comic book?" You see that sounds silly. So instead he says, "Martha, bring me my..... (and at this point I wink and tap my finger to my head)... Graphic Novel." See? Now you guys might still find it hard to believe that the man just wants to read a Batman comic. You might find it even harder to believe that such a man actually has a wife, but believe me.. this term makes it better for a lot of grown ups.

No comments: