-->

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Here comes the backlash

Allen Barra of the New York Sun writes:
It's getting so I hate the New Orleans Saints the way I used to hate the Dallas Cowboys. Well, maybe not the same way. I root for whoever's playing the Cowboys, but I don't have anything against the Saints — I just don't want to hear any more about them.

Well, no, that's not exactly right, either. I don't actually mind hearing about the Saints, who have gotten increasingly interesting as the season goes on. What I'm sick of is the obligatory "The Saints represent the hopes and struggles of a Katrina-ravaged populace" paragraph that sportswriters tack onto their Saints story as if to admit that sports isn't a big enough subject to write about.As if a tenuous if not utterly bogus connection between football and the alleviation of human misery somehow makes what they're writing about more meaningful

This article, the first of many in this vein no doubt, is actually quite measured and reasonable. At this point, I think it's safe to say that New Orleanians understand how important the Saints are... and are able to keep that in proper perspective all the same. Articles like this aren't written for us. Creating and then knocking over bandwagons is just one of those things sportswriters do to have something to write about.

Meanwhile, I wonder how much national attention this story will generate. You know... anything that keeps attention focused on the city, right?

No comments: