-->

Monday, September 25, 2006

Who Dat out dere late at night.

Back when we were in the flower of our youth (I don't know.. five.. six years ago) and not foundering about in the advanced stages of arrested development as we are today, I and most of my group had suck-up service jobs in the French Quarter. At the time we were more often than not found on or about Bourbon street at night gawking at the tourists and conventioneers as they stumbled about, sang bad karaoke, wore beeds in July, and peed on people's houses. It fascinated as much as it repulsed us.... and it was a good excuse to get drunk... a lot.

While I still get down there most weekends.. I'm sorry to say that I'm not as likely to pull off the late nights I was once capable of. That's a shame because it's usually sometime after 2AM that you meet the interesting people... the posing "drug dealers" in garish zoot suits... the guy who tries to sell you a saws-all he has just stolen from a nearby construction site.... the shirtless drunken teenager getting shoved into a police car... you know, the fun people. Well, as I was saying, I just don't make it that late very much anymore.

Which is a shame because had I been able to stay up late with r on Saturday night I would have met these people at Johnny White's. Apparently they've made a habit of flying to New Orleans from the UK for Saints home games. They are here for tonight's game. Brings a tear to the eye.

No comments: