-->

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dome myths

Oyster has posted an examination of the false rumors of rampant killings in the Superdome after Katrina. In fact there were exactly zero homicides at the Superdome. My (of course) favorite bit references the macbre scorecard:
Out of the 50,000 people in desperate circumstances at the Superdome and the Convention Center, there was ONE homicide during the Katrina aftermath. (Six, total, throughout the city.) There were ten deaths, and most of them were natural. For perspective, consider that about SIXTY people died in Houston's poorly coordinated evacuation from Hurricane Rita.
It's a must-read post and I would have linked to it sooner but, at the risk of once again drawing the ire of the NOLA bloggers, I have... um... misgivings about the term "Sacredome". It just sounds.. well.. sanctimonious.. and silly and I cringe a bit when I read it.

No comments: