-->

Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Election Day

I'm traveling during the worst possible week. There was an LSU-Bama game I would have liked to be closer to home during. There was a Saints game on Monday night I could have had tickets to. Apparently there are also Hubigs pies again? Maybe? I'll find out when I get back, I guess. This is also very likely the last week that the website Twitter Dot Com will exist and, even though that technically follows us everywhere in our phones, it feels weird to be watching from unfamiliar places while that news breaks as well. 

I am going to miss having an easy way to do quick, words based, posts from the phone, though.  Because, even though that's what I'm doing right now, this site really isn't for that. My thumbs are already tired.  

And yet there is plenty to say about today's elections which we'll have to get to later. A tl;dr bit would say that the Democrats are about to reap what they've sewn through their failures to pass a more robust stimulus in general, and their failures to protect voting and labor organizing rights in particular.  Those would have been the best ways to build real power for real people.  But the Democrats, being Democrats, aren't sure that's what they really want to do. They're about to get wiped out because of this. I'm not sure the myopic and careerist party leadership will even see that as a setback, though. 

Locally, it's even worse. The stakes remain limited to the career advancement of minor functionaries in the New Orleans area and the state Dem party's maintenance of inconsequential sinecures within its shrinking sphere of influence. 

Meanwhile the city, the state, and the nation are sinking further into a depressing kind of neo-fascism or neo-feudalist techno dystopia. Whichever term you prefer is fine. Neither really describes it clearly.  But they do sort of evoke the mood of it. In any case, thanks to the complete failure of those who place themselves into positions of political "leadership" no one is able to do anything to stop it. 

When I get back home, (and when Twitter finally dies leaving me nothing but time to write here) I'll try going into more detail.  But while we do still have Twitter, I can link to some threads and put the phone down. 

Here is the DSA guide for this cycle.  And here is the Antigravity guide

This is a thread where I read and added some notes on the guides.  And this is a thread where I punched out a couple of predictions even though I should not do those. Nobody actually knows what will happen in the future and it's important to remember that when one wants to recover one's hope.  

We'll work on that when we get home too, I guess.



No comments: