-->

Friday, October 22, 2010

Aqua Budha

You know if you change just one or two circumstantial details, these stories about Rand Paul's fraternity days aren't all that different from things we've read recently about the youthful activities of some of our other favorite prominent politicians.

For example, compare this kidnapping episode Paul participated in.
"He and Randy came to my house, they knocked on my door, and then they blindfolded me, tied me up, and put me in their car. They took me to their apartment and tried to force me to take bong hits. They'd been smoking pot." After the woman refused to smoke with them, Paul and his friend put her back in their car and drove to the countryside outside of Waco, where they stopped near a creek. "They told me their god was 'Aqua Buddha' and that I needed to bow down and worship him," the woman recalls. "They blindfolded me and made me bow down to 'Aqua Buddha' in the creek.


With Bobby Jindal's own account of his exorcism.
The students, led by Susan's sister and Louise, a member of a charismatic church, engaged in loud and desperate prayers while holding Susan with one hand. Kneeling on the ground, my friends were chanting, "Satan, I command you to leave this woman." Others exhorted all "demons to leave in the name of Christ." It is no exaggeration to note the tears and sweat among those assembled. Susan lashed out at the assembled students with verbal assaults.


Sure one of these stories involves forcing a supernatural entity of sorts into a person's body while the other is about pulling one out. But in each case a group of very weird cultish college students are detaining and forcing their will upon a woman against her protestations.

Ambitious young men certainly can get themselves into some unusual mischief before they grow up to become our very important civic betters. At least the Paul story doesn't involve any goats (that we know of) but there is plenty of the same mean racial stereotype based humor we've seen in other places and which seems to be a required rite of passage for young men of a certain social cache.

No comments: