-->

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Time to stuff a mattress

This is already up on Eschaton which means most of my readers have seen it already but... Gah!

WASHINGTON - The federal agency that insures bank deposits, which is asking for emergency powers to borrow up to $500 billion to take over failed banks, is facing a potential major shortfall in part because it collected no insurance premiums from most banks from 1996 to 2006.


You know, just this week, I moved most of the money I had saved over the past year out of a fairly secure credit union and into a Capitol One account motivated by the convenient fact that Cap One won't charge me a currency conversion fee for purchases I might make in France. I'm starting to worry about that decision a little bit.

(May as well keep to the Eschaton script) Let's just hope Tim Geithner hasn't burned all the money by the time I get back.

No comments: