-->

Thursday, September 27, 2007

A short history of my idiocy

Regular readers of this space have grown accustomed to (or perhaps fatigued by) the oft-repeated use of the currently popular term "douchebag" to describe a certain type of pompous je ne sais quois in some individuals who meet with our disapproval. This descriptor is usually employed as a generic epithet to convey both the distasteful smugness of our subject and our visceral displeasure with said smugness. In other words, I generally resort to this word when someone pisses me off via their own comically over-inflated sense of self-importance. "Douchebags" of note in Yellow Blogging include Bono, the below-mentioned Reggie Bush, and of course Chris Rose.

Last year, I briefly wondered aloud if my overuse of this word was becoming something of a grating self-parody. At the bottom of this post on an unrelated matter, I asked the readership if it was, in fact, time to ban the word "douchebag" from the blog altogether. As you can see there, the response was overwhelming. The people wanted more "douchebag" and we delivered.

But now, I'm beginning to get those doubtful feelings again. Perhaps this is an indication that I should know better than to spend too much time reading my own stuff. Or perhaps it's something else. Therefore, I'll leave it to you to decide this crucial matter once again in this year's Douchebag referendum.

Voting will conclude after the weekend.



Update: Another tantalizing possible substitute: Jennywoman?

No comments: