-->

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives...

We are now less than 72 hours out from a debt default landfall. Write your own cone of error joke.  And maybe fill your bathtub with platinum coins just to be safe. Looks like the Republicans met late last night for tacos and decided to just keep on keeping on.

And in the time it took me to type that, the White House has called the bluff again.  I'm not so sure it's really a bluff, though.  One of the reasons I've thought the conservatives were "winning" this thing the whole time is a debt default is actually a pretty decent outcome as far as they're concerned.  It starves the proverbial beast a little. Opens the door to a whole new host of austerity measures.  Props up the retrograde gold standard argument. Et cetera and so on.
 
I'm not saying this means the Democrats should be "negotiating" with this nonsense. I'm just saying the options were always help the GOP break stuff, or the GOP will break stuff on their own.  So far, the Democrats have, to their credit, opted for the latter. 

Another thing to note is that the idea that there's some distance between the Republican leadership and the Teabaggers is an illusion.  John Boehner could have ended this at any time.  He could have ended it this morning. And yet here we are.

I told myself I wasn't going to stoop to this but... I mean... it's so.. this, right?


No comments: