-->

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Eventually what you learn is you don't count

Happy Iraq War Day.  May all your missions be fully accomplished.

There have been several pointed comparisons today between the relative impotence of the hundreds of thousands strong anti-war protests in major American and Western European cities that preceded the invasion compared to the effectiveness of the smaller, but more focused, funded, and better treated by the news media "Tea Party" reaction to President Obama in 2010.

Here, Digby reminds us of Clear Channel's astroturf pro-war rallies that were falsely cited in the media as a "balancing counterpoint" to the massive protests. Despite the difference in numbers, the Iraq protests had zero effect on the decision to go ahead and spend trillions of dollars killing hundreds of thousands of people.

The Tea Partiers, by contrast,  took control of congress and, more crucially, enough state legislatures and governorships just in time for redistricting and so continue to dominate the national agenda. Or at least their concerns do.

The lesson, as always is, yell and scream all you want. Nobody who matters is ever listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drop a leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a article on a website or I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion.
Usually it is caused by the passion displayed in the article I read.
And on this post "Eventually what you learn is you don't count".
I was actually moved enough to drop a commenta response ;-) I actually do have a couple
of questions for you if you tend not to mind. Could it be simply
me or does it give the impression like a
few of the remarks appear as if they are coming from brain
dead people? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I would like to keep
up with everything fresh you have to post.
Would you make a list all of your communal pages like your twitter feed,
Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Also visit my web page graffinc.com

Anonymous said...

Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.
Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog
article or vice-versa? My website addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I
think we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you might be interested feel free to send me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog by the way!


My blog :: kliknij