-->

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Odd Fetish

I never really understood why this was such a big deal either.
Seriously, can we get over ourselves about the Miracle on Ice? It was great and all, but you hear about it every five minutes in this country. I lived in Russia for 10 years and didn’t even once hear about a bunch of Soviets with hideous mustaches whipping the asses of David Robinson, Danny Manning and Mitch Richmond in basketball in Seoul in ‘88. I heard a lot about the 1972 thing, but that was only in the context of Russians being so amused by how much we whined about getting jobbed by the refs.


I mean, first of all, it's hockey which is barely even a thing anyone cares about. Secondly, it's the Olympics which nobody cares about. And then it's 30 years ago and.. well.. I still have no clue why it's a big deal apart from some sort of jingoistic fetish among the sports media.

No comments: