-->

Monday, May 14, 2007

Today's Wacky Reference Question

Note: This is only the latest in a series of these types of calls from the same person whom we've never met but who seems to enjoy running through difficult to follow nutty conversational tangents with me. The pattern is always the same. I answer the phone and the caller dives straight into the conversation which can often go on for a long time without getting anywhere.. but always ends abruptly with the caller saying "Okay I'll hang up now".


(Phone rings)

Me: Good morning, Catfish Joe's Bait & Tackle Shop how may I help you?*

Caller:
Yeah so could you tell me why do we have to have Army bases in New Orleans?

Me: Well... I don't think there's an Army base here. There's a Naval installation but I'll check that if you want.

Caller: Yes but why? Why is it that are there bases in the cities?

Me: I think it's up to the Department of Defense to determine where the bases are located. I think these decisions are also political.. often you read about this or that community actually lobbying to have a base located nearby. But.. if you are asking about the actual decision-making process then I'm sure we could..**

Caller: Isn't it to protect the cities from illegal aliens? Isn't that so?

Me: I haven't heard that before.. I.. um

Caller:
Because they don't stay down around the border. They go into the cities don't they? So isn't that why we have the Army bases?

Me: Well that doesn't sound exactly right to me.. but..

Caller: Okay I'll hang up now.

(click)

* This is probably not actually what I said

** This is very near to what I actually said. I am quite helpful and courteous with library patrons... particularly so with the batshit crazy ones.

No comments: